Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Looming Terror in the Midst of the Global Economic Crisis

The current situation was truly unexpected. We were all very stable at first and suddenly, instability and chaos is spreading like wildfire. Maybe it should be expected afterall, what with the constant downturn of every economy and poverty worsening in every nation.

The Middle East countries were the ones most affected. Particularly here in the UAE, where the infrastructure business has immediately soared up high in the recent years. With the current situation, the country is also the one to immediately fall down.

Living in the UAE for almost three years, I have seen its gradual downturn. With my 100 dirhams, my trolley is already full. The rent and electricity bills were not that high. You can live for a week with only very minimal amount in your pockets. This is three years ago.

When I arrived here with a visit visa, I was able to find a job for three days. In my first year, I was able to switch jobs, looking for the best one until I found Atkins. Now I am with the company for nearly two years.

In almost three years, I have soared up high like Dubai. I got married, got my own apartment, bought a lot, a car and a business in the Philippines, and got two cars here, for me and my husband. But maybe like Dubai, I'll be having an immediate downfall too.

There is no other news nowadays than the massive redundancies in various consulting, design and construction companies. Several people I know have already been made redundant. And as the crisis continues, everyone is just awaiting their own time. In Atkins alone, news spread that 1000 job cuts will be made by the end of March.

The crisis will surely end, but as it is just reaching it's peak, it is really frightening because nobody knows what will happen next. Everyone is gripped by terror of what this global economic crisis will do to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment