Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Dream Place


I woke up in alarm. I just had a very vivid dream. I rolled onto my back and opened my eyes. It was still very dark but a hint of light is seeping through the curtained windows. It must have been dawn. I know it's a weekend so I should probably get back to sleep. I slowly closed my eyes and fell into sleep where my dream continued where it had left off.

I opened my eyes again. Large chunks of sunlight are bursting from the window. It was a nice warm day. After a couple of minutes' stretching and yawning, I pushed myself up, still not entirely sure if I was fully awake. I was still in deep concentration trying to remember my dream. I pulled my robe on and headed to the window to push the curtains aside and let the early morning sunshine fill my room. I was yawning as I was trying to hook the curtain string onto place. My eyes lingered for a very short moment outside the window. I was halfway through another yawn when I gasped.

Trying to shake myself to full alertness, I blinked, not once, not twice, but thrice. But still, the images in front of my eyes did not fade. Carefully, I head out for the door and reached for its handle. It was only then that I realized that everything was different. I turned my back to the door and faced the bed. The four-poster bed was so huge, the white chiffon hangings perfectly brushed and tied aside and the sheets were immaculate, even though I just slept in it. On either side of the bed are wooden side tables, surely antique, with handsome handcrafted carvings and elegantly classic lamps sat on top of them. My gaze slowly moved up toward the ceiling. I held my breath as I saw a gigantic chandelier with intricate crystals that will surely be mesmerizing when lighted. Then I noticed that the entire room was circular. And it was a very huge room. Almost all the walls were made of floor to ceiling glass which were draped with heavy curtains and light material hangings in between, breaking the monotony of wooden panels. On the far side of the wall, a glass door was ajar and cool breeze was seeping through. Adjacent to the glass door was an ornate wooden door which probably leads to the bathroom.

My head started to spin as I asked myself, where the hell was I? I turned the knob on the door as my heart pounded hard on my chest. I was momentarily blinded by the blazing sun but my nose was suddenly filled by a different kind of fragrance, something breezy and salty. I inhaled more deeply as I opened my eyes to the most magnificent sight I have ever seen. Several feet ahead of me was the brilliant blue sea, shimmering and dancing under the sun. The waves rushing to the shore were like music dancing with the breeze. The sands were lined with thick coconut trees bending towards the sea.

As I was taking all the sights in, I noticed that I was standing on wooden floor on a wide veranda. A matching round wooden table that sits four was laden with a wide assortment of food. Tropical fruits served as centerpieces. A large coconut with a straw protruding from its hole was waiting to be sipped at. There were eggs on the plate and a lot more variety from different plates that I did not bother to pay too much attention.

Pushing my thoughts away from the delectable scenery on the table, I walked down the steps of the veranda and stepped onto the sand with my bare feet. The sand was warm and cold at the same time. The water felt so inviting stretching far out. I suddenly noticed a large white boat anchored on the farther side of the beach. I shielded my eyes against the sun to have a better look as I was walking slowly toward it.

When I reached the boat, I noticed that it was not simply a boat. It was luxurious. There were no scratches on its white surface. In bright red paint, "belle fille rêveuse" was written on its side. I wasn't done taking all these in when the boat swayed in motion. A man stepped out from the cabin doors. As if the entire scenery was not enough, the man made everything entirely perfect. He had deep blue eyes. And he smiled at me.

I created this article out of a prompt I found on a website. This is prompt#17, askking to write a story about your dream place. I was planning to create single articles for my blog out of these story prompts. I thought it would be fun as much as a nice exercise to enhance my writing skills. I just wish I could really do it! ;)

2 comments:

  1. hi... nice thoughts... and thanks for share witheveryone, who knows ur blog.

    take care and put more
    raja, dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi... nice thoughts... and thanks for share witheveryone, who knows ur blog.

    take care and put more
    raja @ narasimmaraja, dubai

    ReplyDelete