Saturday, March 3, 2012

The First Dragon Boat Experience

I've been dying to try out dragon boating for sometime now and finally, I've come to experience it for the first time. The call time is 1 o'clock and I ran a bit late but we got there just fine. It felt funny that the place is just in Kallang and it was around the area where I used to live and yet I only got around to trying the sport now.

When I got there, I started to prepare. I put some sunblock cream on my face, put on a baseball cap, gloves and life vest. I was then given a wooden paddle, the length of which should be the height of my chest or armpits. We proceeded on the riverbanks where the senior dragon boaters briefed us and gave instructions.

As dragon boating is a serious sport, we did some stretching before proceeding to the boat where they will give instructions simultaneously as we paddle. There may be a lot of dragon boat techniques out there and I've read most of them but I listened and watched intently as the instructors shed them out.

The first command of the captain which sits at the bow or in front of the boat facing the rest of the crew and is usually the "drummer" is STAND-BY. This is where we hold the paddle with both hands, one hand holding the TEE (handle) of the paddle and the other hand holding the shaft three inches away from the blade. We position the paddle in front of us and lean half of the body forward. The captain then shouts PADDLES-UP, where we position the paddle 45 degrees away from the body at the side of the boat. Then we start paddling as the captain instructs and we submerge the blade of the paddle in the water to CATCH and PULL water, then EXIT from the side of the hip forming a "J" and repeat the process until the captain shouts EASY where we stop paddling altogether.

We did the entire paddling process counting by tens as the captain instructs for a fifty, forty or thirty strokes. We also did it by pairs, all the while coaching and instructing us with the correct positions and posture. When we reach the other part of the shore, we got out of the boat and the seniors taught us the techniques one on one. Then we start paddling again until we reach back the docks.


Personally, I find the sport quite enticing. The training is rigorous and a good workout for the body. My entire body will probably ache yet I have no regrets. I will definitely be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment