Thursday, June 18, 2009

Warning: YM Hacker on the Loose!

This is not a chain or spam email, just a warning to all Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Mail users out there. As I am totally relying on my YM account as most of you also are, I feel it’s just right to give you this warning.

Just this morning, I received an instant message (YM) from one of my contacts, asking me for a favor. Since I know the person, I said yes and asked what favor. She said she wanted to show me pictures of a girl who she thinks I know and sent me a link. She asked me to click the link and sign in. It was this link - http://surney15.t35.com/image.html

When I clicked the link, it was a yahoo flickr site asking to sign in my email and password. As I don’t have any doubt that I am talking to someone I know, I was about to sign in when I received a text message on my phone coming from the same person. The message said her YM account had virus and if someone sends instant messages asking for favors, ignore it. I got confused and called her. I then understood that her YM account has been hacked. Somebody else was using it. She cannot login anymore but at that moment while I was talking to her, her YM account continuously sends me messages asking me to sign in. She said it all started when she clicked a link similar to this and signed in. She got disconnected immediately and wasn’t able to sign in anymore until this moment. I also found out that the person using her account sent the same message to one of our common friends who was also on her contact list asking for a SMARTLOAD! Our common friend can’t believe that she was asking for a prepaid load so she asked around until we came to this conclusion.

It’s obvious that another hacker is on the loose. Just be careful and send this warning to everyone you know.

1 comment:

  1. a friend of mine was a victim of same yesterday asking me for a globe load.it started asking me a favor.he then send me link and asking if i know the girl within that link.since I know owner of the acct, I was curious but suspiciuos.I first created an dummy YM acct and try accessing the site.the link prompted me to flicker log on.I signed in my dummy acct and password, the webpage display an error message.I replied to him that I got an error after logging in and asked if he could just snd me a print screen ...he never replied back...This morning when we get to meet at work he said that he cant log in anymore in his YM acct worrying that he was hacked.Some friends of his texting him asking if he still need the load that he never asked.For that, he confirmed that he was actually hacked. 1 of his contacts actually signed in on flicker and got same problem .Right after work, before creating this comment, I try to login with that dummy YM acct I created yesterday,to my suprise I cant login anymore...

    so as with the thread starter, be careful.

    ReplyDelete